September 24, 2021
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
We’ve Been Gone For A While, But… A Mixed Bag Of Topics Casting Call Grand Solar Minimum Busted! It’s Emergency Preparedness Week! Ham Radio Comms Plan For SHTF – Part III Ham Radio Comms Plan For SHTF – Part II Ham Radio Comms Plan For SHTF – Part I Tornado Season Is Upon Us One Year In

FORUM

One day at a time..

Notifications
Clear all

One day at a time..

farmgal
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

This thread is to be a touch more personal and or lighthearted then the Corvid 19 thread.. A bit more.. grab a coffee and share..

Tell a funny story about something that happened at the store or talking to a friend or share your my gosh, can't believe I read that or well this was a bit of a breath of fresh air in my day..

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

PrepHer
(@prepher)
Prominent Member

Amid all the reading of C-19 updates & making sure my supplies are in order, I decided to go completely sideways and........ read a book! The author is my neice's new husband and I wanted to support him by reading it. It sure wasn't my usual reading material - sci-fi horror - but I actually enjoyed the break. Now back to reality, lol
Nice to hear from you Farmgal

ReplyQuote
farmgal
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

Hi Prepher.

I have to admit that I am still doing all the normal things as well, I am planning this and that but we are certainly making all our holiday plans to be either stay at home, or camping..

How about you ladies, anyone else changing your march break plans? I am honestly amazed at how many friends are still flying out, still planning cruises and still planning on heading to Disney World..

I am having a hard time deciding if I am even willing to go to seedy satruday's in that ultra crowded place, I think I am going to take a pass and just order my things in by mail.

ReplyQuote
Learner
(@learner)
Reputable Member

Hi farmgal and PrepHer.

DH is taking his holidays at the beginning of May, so we are busy planning a meandering type of camping for a couple of weeks with a few stops at home to check on things. We don't fly anywhere or travel too much. Our usual camp spot is within an hours reach of home, although one of our spots this year will be about 3 hours from home. Going to visit some friends and see their little corner of the world.

I will be attending the local Farmer's Market again this year as a vendor, have already started this past month. Currently only once a month, then twice a month and then when summer comes, every week. Will be taking an odd Saturday off (haven't quite decided when yet) this year to have a small camping trip. DH does his regular job and then comes to the market with me to assist with the table. It has become a way I contribute to the household without actually getting a job, which is not so ready available in our area.

With some of the proceeds from last years market sales, I bought a loom from another vendor. Figured it would be a quicker way to go through yarn that was inherited after mother passed. Only about 10 totes of the stuff. So have been learning a new craft and having some fun with it and have found that it is very enjoyable and relaxing also.

ReplyQuote
PrepHer
(@prepher)
Prominent Member

I was planning to go out to BC to see my son and his family (2 little granddaughters) at the end of May but now that's questionable due to the global Coronovirus. No other plans for me but my other son and his family are going to Hawaii for March break - I'll be driving them to the airport and picking them up (I dread the exposure to anything they've been exposed to). I've been lucky to visit my sister in Hamilton since my daughter had to go there for meetings anyway and I drove down with her. BUT the last time, I had to take the Gotrain from Hamilton to meet her in Oshawa, after rush hour. The "accessibility" Coach is never crowded 😉 . I'm getting nervous about the Coronovirus these days

ReplyQuote
farmgal
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

Hi Learner, Nice to hear your plans, I will be interested to see how things go in terms of the coming year, I am also to be doing some local events and markets but I have to admit to being a little leery, the smaller quieter ones not so much but some of the busy ones, I am hmmm..

Its tricky because like you this is a way I make a little extra income at times but maybe not so much this year.. We are also planning our holiday's to be camping trip.. It just seems like the best way to relax and unwind from all the current stress on the news and such.. I went for a nap today and in the three hours, there was so much already put out there.

Nice on working though the wool, I have a lot as well myself...

ReplyQuote
farmgal
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

Prepher

Ya, I would not be wanting to do any kind of air travel at this time.. I am unhappy that I need to head down to a bigger hotel for a AGM for a youth program I am involved with and I am taking a private car and have a private room.. but the meals are included and there around 200 of us.. everyone from Ontario but its a big hotel and who knows where they are coming in from etc..

I am already trying to figure out what things to take to wipe things down and reduce the risk.. we will see.. we will see..

ReplyQuote
farmgal
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

In the past two weeks, both hubby and I got our teeth checked and anything needed to be fixed done.. We have our eyes getting checked very soon and will update our glasses as required.. This week our last intact female cat goes in for her spay (no kittens for her)..

This week I will be having a soap making day.. I have a reasonable number of my homemade cold process soap in stock but I did sell a lot around Christmas time so overall my stocks are low.. I will get busy and make a couple 2 pound batches this week.. I would like to put up at least 20 more bars of soap for us..

I also think it might be a good idea to make another 40 to 100 bars to start curing up.. I think that a good bar or 2 of soap might be something in need in the next weeks to months.. good will, good barter or good price value..

What do you have planned this week or the in the next couple weeks?

ReplyQuote
Learner
(@learner)
Reputable Member

Its so wonderful that you can and know how to make your own soap farmgal. Never can have enough soap and its also something else that keeps. That is something I haven't gotten around to doing (making my own) and besides I just don't have time to add another project to my lists. We stocked up about 8 years ago on a fantastic sale and are still using. This past year, we came across another sale and topped up the supply. Generally we just use Irish Spring and Ivory soaps.

For this weeks plans, am canning up some jams/jellies to add to the market supplies. Also finishing up some of the sewing projects and have to finish up some sock monkeys. There is a market on the 14th, so am organizing and getting some extra things ready.

ReplyQuote
farmgal
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

Good job on the sales..

hope the market goes well, sock monkeys' I have always liked them..

I am not planning on making to learning many new things, I am more focused on leaning things down and keeping myself to a tighter line of things.. just makes sense.

So I need to plan better, I needed to be out a goodly amount and I normally grab a coffee on the go.. its one of my few treats.. but hubby and I both agreed, no buying anything food or drink wise when out for the next while.. and I ran out to fast on my stuff.. I honestly was like.. you will be home in an hour.. home in a the next X.. You are a grown up women.. you can wait to get a water and a coffee..

I am taking more with me next time. lol

ReplyQuote
Share: