September 27, 2021
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
We’ve Been Gone For A While, But… A Mixed Bag Of Topics Casting Call Grand Solar Minimum Busted! It’s Emergency Preparedness Week! Ham Radio Comms Plan For SHTF – Part III Ham Radio Comms Plan For SHTF – Part II Ham Radio Comms Plan For SHTF – Part I Tornado Season Is Upon Us One Year In

FORUM

Covid 19 and all th...

Notifications
Clear all

Covid 19 and all the related goings on.

Page 1 / 2

farmgal
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

Hi Ladies..

To say I had a personal rough year last year would be a understatement and so I have been offline for a good while.. but I thought I had better come on over and have a look at how things are going.

So I am going to put up two different posts and I promise to come by on a more regular base to check in.

Covid 19 is getting more and more numbers across the globe daily as we speak.. but as most of us know, its not just that we need to worry about the virus itself.. its the effects felt in a combo of soft ripples and strong shockwaves that are going to effect our daily lives and our country that is front and center at the moment.

So are you checking your preps and finding weak spots and adding extra's to your stock?

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

PrepHer
(@prepher)
Prominent Member

Hi Farmgal, good to hear from you. I'm happy you're taking time for yourself.
I'm absolutely double checking all my supplies for the coming months and years. Chinese factories are not up and running and won't be for the next while, many products are still stuck in containers on ships or at the docks since the railways aren't moving to their full capacity yet. Many products aren't even produced in the Americas any more 🙁
I'm most worried specifically about two meds I need to take every day to stay alive, knowing that most of the ingredients for them come from China, which is on lockdown. I just hope there are supplies of them when I need to refill (I'm hoping my Dr will order a six months supply for me next week).
Buckle up!

ReplyQuote
Learner
(@learner)
Reputable Member

Good to hear from you farmgal. Hopefully this year will be better for you.

We've been going through everything and restocking where necessary. Have also been getting a few extras on any over the counter stuff to have in the med kits, like tylenol, advil, etc.

ReplyQuote
farmgal
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

Glad you are going though your things Learner and taking stock.. always a good idea to do those double checks..

So ladies what's your thinking..

14 day (full lock down)
30 to 45 days or plus for possible lock down's in your area? shorter, longer.. what do you think is your risk factor if or once they lock down your local area for limited travel?
3 to 6 months in regards to supply issues
6 to 18 months in regards to supply issues (world-wide in moving waves depending on how the countries are effected?)

Add in our own possible ongoing supply movement issues?

ReplyQuote
farmgal
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

well, the local Ottawa area and it would appear from the news all across Canada, there is a run on the stores while people stock up trying to get a week to a month worth of supplies set up..

Its been interesting to say the least over the past 72 hours watching what is happening in the stores.. and clearly people think the big bulk supply stores are the place to be.. wild!

ReplyQuote
Learner
(@learner)
Reputable Member

We went to Costco yesterday to get a stock of sugar, as I'm going to be starting to make some jams and jellies right away, as the weather is warm enough that I can have a couple of windows open. While there, we also got a few things to top up our supplies, so we now don't have to go back for another 3-4 months. It was fairly busy for a Monday afternoon and watching people, their baskets were quite full and it seemed different than what is normally seen. There was also no t.p. in that store at all.

Listening to the radio on the way home, they were mentioning that that store was running out of t.p. and in some cases didn't even have any.

ReplyQuote
farmgal
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

Glad its warming up enough Learner to have the windows open, always so nice after winter.. Thanks for the overview in your neck of the woods.

Very interesting that the baskets were full, was amazed at how many people seemed to be buying water/Tp and like a bag of rice but otherwise, empty carts..

ReplyQuote
PrepHer
(@prepher)
Prominent Member

I'm stressed! My "stay-home" message to some of my grown married kids fell on deaf ears and two of them (and spouses and 6 of my grandchildren) went away anyway to the US (Florida and Hawaii) for March break! I've been trying to inform them for weeks, encouraging them to reconsider traveling but they think I'm overreacting and even said I was stressing THEM out with all this foolish talk!! Two of my grown children live here at home with me and they are totally on board with me and angry at their siblings for being so selfish. We've decided to impose a quarantine on them when they return home and forbid them to visit us for 2-3 weeks. I'm not being over dramatic - I'm in the high risk category (>60 and diabetes) and my grown son here is immunocompromised. I heard tonight that the feds said that if you're out of the country, get Home ASAP - meaning they are going to close the boarders (actually my family Dr told me that yesterday ).
I have to learn to let go as I can't do anything about it but it's pretty damn hard when it's family!!!
I'm glad I have you Ladies to let off some steam! Thanks for listening

ReplyQuote
farmgal
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

I can totally understand you being stressed.. There was major information globally and within Canada before they left.. they did know that there were risks and they choose to still go..

I get it, I have friends doing the same thing, I have family doing the same thing.. the amount of people who TRULY are not taking it as a real thing that is happening right in front of them is still very high.

Vent away but I agree with you.. a min of 14 days and 21 would be much better.. I hope they are smart enough to come home early.. but if they choose to stay and get caught with the borders locked up.. the government is not going to send planes for everyone.. they really are not!

So hopefully with everything happening now! they will come home early and if they follow the goverments recommendations, they will need to go into self anyway for 14 days.. they should not be visiting you or anyone else Period!

ReplyQuote
farmgal
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

well Ottawa is now a hot mess.. wow..

ReplyQuote
Learner
(@learner)
Reputable Member

Vent away. Can totally understand, know people going south and some already south. A friends father winters in the Dominican Republic and kids have been trying to get him to come back now, but not sure if that is going to happen, so watching friend being very anxious.

Around here, they have announced schools are now closed, along with daycares.

Today, while we can still travel, we are going where daughter lives with 3 young kids, (single mom, doesn't drive) taking a supply of groceries and other supplies. With no school, two will now be at home, so she is already looking at ways to keep them entertained and also some learning stuff to do.

Last Friday for some reason, people from the cities came out in very winter weather to all the small towns and proceeded to empty the shelves of the grocery stores, Walmart, etc. We had to go in to a local bigger town and pick up some ordered stuff and went into the Walmart after (in the evening), it was quite the thing to see the shelves empty and there were still some there frantically filling their carts.

ReplyQuote
PrepHer
(@prepher)
Prominent Member

Thanks ladies for all your support! I truly appreciate it

ReplyQuote
farmgal
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

well, they just mostly closed the border, keeping it open to bring in the stragglers that are traveling or are snowbirds but that is a limited time offer.. soon enough it will close up tight, still let in the USA truckers and shippers and haulers and such but no regular folks moving in and out..

Hope the heck that folks take this for real! its REAL!! its happening..

ReplyQuote
farmgal
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

Not happy at all.. woke up with a sore throat and a small amount of dry cough.. no fever.. Spring Snow Mold/weather change allergies or something more..

No way to know yet... so into lockdown I and my farm goes..

Will keep you all posted!

ReplyQuote
Learner
(@learner)
Reputable Member

Oh my farmgal. Take care of yourself. Hopefully, just spring stuff and from being outside.

With our little travels here and there, its hard to not do normal things like clear your throat, or try not to sneeze when walking by an aisle or something that is heavily scented. Can just imagine what would happen and don't want that to happen. Pretty scary.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: