September 27, 2021
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
We’ve Been Gone For A While, But… A Mixed Bag Of Topics Casting Call Grand Solar Minimum Busted! It’s Emergency Preparedness Week! Ham Radio Comms Plan For SHTF – Part III Ham Radio Comms Plan For SHTF – Part II Ham Radio Comms Plan For SHTF – Part I Tornado Season Is Upon Us One Year In

FORUM

2018 this and that ...

Notifications
Clear all

2018 this and that round table

Page 1 / 3

farmgal
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

hi ladies

so anyone got any ideas, goals or such for the coming year?

I have to admit that I both do and don't.. and by that I mean, I do have goals but they are in line and more of the same.. I have been contracted again this year to grow heritage seed again (fourth year now) and very much enjoy the yearly training sessons given on proper seed growing and saving.. so much more to it then most people realize.

I have brought in a high quality insanely costly british milking sheep ram to improve the milk production in my sheep flock, I continue to breed two rare breed chicken lines and work with a larger then normal breeding line numbers for my meat rabbits

I have been asked to do a number of speaking engagements already for this coming year, we will see how many I am going to say yes to, one is in the states and on is one the east coast the rest are local with a few hours of the farm.

We continue to have settling in happening with our new multi-generational home, my mom moved in with us from alberta and it is very fair to say that we have had growing pains

I am struggling on what I want my extra time focus to be on this year, do I want it on farm.. partly off farm.. where do I put my give back time this year?

How about you ladies?

Farmgal aka Val

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

Foxglove
(@foxglove)
Estimable Member

Hi Farmgal

No real goals for me. Need to stock up the pantry but I think I'll leave that until January when all the crazy has finished. I'm going to check into Gordon Food Services, I think the public can shop there and the warehouse is only about 45 minutes from my house. We're a family of six and my kids are all adult sized and I'd like to buy large sized food products, little bottles of sauces etc don't last long around here. It's getting harder and harder to find #10 cans in the regular grocery stores.

I got rid of the few chickens I had a couple of months ago and we need to clean out & make some changes to the coop before we get new ones. Most importantly a concrete floor, had a rodent problem. Plus the fence around the run needs to be re-built from the previous winter's snow damage. I'm hoping for a garden again which we haven't had since we moved here but need my husbands help for that since the ground is full of clay and it's going to be quite the job to loosen the soil.

Otherwise I feel like I'm hanging on by my fingernails to get through the days! Lots of demand on my time, kids, aging parents etc like most people.

Foxglove

ReplyQuote
farmgal
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

Hi Foxglove,

I hear you, I swear so many are holding on hard enough by fingernails that that they are turning white.. its strange because in many ways things are doing ok, and yet there is in pressure if that makes sense.

Makes sense on the wearhouse, I was happy to find out that there was a new place that I could buy the 20 pound bags of sugar and flour and more but many they are not sale prices by any means.. and its enough of a drive that I unless I am going there for another reason, its just not quite worth it for me.

Really struggling to find a balance between using what we have and my mom's being used to buying from the store, its like if she can't see it, its not int he house, I bring up jars of home canned and jars of dried an such and she goes and buys fresh at the store.. at least she is good about the meat.. that she just reaches for the freezers thankfully.

Last years droughts and this past years flood have done a number on the gardens, the pasture and even basic things like livestock, I had to cull down a number of flocks and butcher the steer out six months earlier then normal due to lack of hay (had the money for hay but good luck on finding it this spring) Had to buy more grains and sprout them and buy more feed to keep them going..

Six eating like adults in size is for sure a lot.. the only thing I can offer for the soil is to look into fodder radishes, I know it seems odd but they will grow deep enough to break the soil and they are not freeze hardy, but they will self-seed. if you pull and feed stock great, otherwise, they are to rot out in the ground, breaking the soil and creating mass as they go..

ReplyQuote
farmgal
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

Cold Temps warnings out all over Canada for the next week and major snow storms in different parts of Canada as well.

Everyone stay warm and for those thousands that are without power, I hope that your preps all came in handy!

ReplyQuote
Learner
(@learner)
Reputable Member

Hi
Have set for myself a couple of goals, will see if I can manage to get them done this year or not. Hopefully. One is to finally learn how to use the radios we have and possibly go so far as the HAM. There is also a free course through the Alberta Government for Emergency Management, will have to see if that can be squeezed in too, a friend has taken it and says it is a pretty good course. All online, which makes it alright. Have a couple of months right now that it might be able to get done now that the crazy busy is about over. I make alot of the gifts for the kids, grandkids and parents between sewing, baking and canned goods and for stocking our own pantry. Would also like to start sewing a few of my own tops and whatnot as I have gotten some of my Mom's material that she had laying around as she isn't sewing much anymore. The sewing would then lead to scraps which would then be made into quilts, which is something else I wouldn't mind doing.

We don't have animals other than household pets (dog, who is getting up there in age, a bird and fish). Have got a few new seed catalogues and have been going through them and may be adding or changing around the gardens a bit. Hoping to add a couple more fruit trees to the yard this year to add to the fruit we already grow.

May have to be travelling a bit more for Mom to take her for her shopping. She doesn't drive and her friend that was taking her around regularly is ill and taking treatments, so isn't around as much anymore. Its almost like sometimes she has forgotten what she used to do to have her cupboards stocked. She lives in her own house still and is 77. She isn't capable of the canning and whatnot anymore, but have been getting her to make sure she has enough fresh, canned and everything else she needs to see her through between shopping trips. Brother lives closer to her, but isn't always able to take her out.

Learner aka Kathy

ReplyQuote
farmgal
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

Thanks for the overview Kathy.. I do understand about needing to give more a helping to our aging mothers. my hubbies mother has lost her abilibty to drive now and she finds it quite difficult.

Keep us posted thoughtout the year on if do get to the point of sewing, I love the idea of having time to sew but it rarely happens. I picked up a quilt topper that was mostly done and I was able to finish it.. still lots of work even doing that part.

ReplyQuote
HopeImReady
(@hopeimready)
Reputable Member

I've been focusing more on learning skills this past year, than restocking supplies. I'm down to my last 3 bars of soap..time to do another big batch :)! I am getting lots of dried goods, but I am not cataloging & dating them like I did before...

I did a lot of handmade foodie gifts this past Xmas which was nice, except for a few less-than-successful recipe "flops" which end up in on my counter..which can be dangerous for keeping off weight πŸ˜‰

I started as a Range Officer at my local range, which cuts into my regular practice time somewhat, but also means I get a significant chunk off my annual fees, and lets me shoot solo whenever the range doesn't have a scheduled session.

I am thinking of learning to crochet or knit this upcoming year. My vertical backyard garden didn't do so well last summer, I think due to cramped space, at least for the larger veggies (herbs were great) - so I will look into raised beds this spring. This may also be my last year with my aging senior doggie πŸ™ She feels the cold in her bones very easily now, and for our winter walks I am sometimes carrying her most of the way...at 65 lbs that's not easy.

Farmgal, be picky about which speaking engagements you do - you are an awesome speaker, so they'd be lucky to have you πŸ™‚

HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

ReplyQuote
PrepHer
(@prepher)
Prominent Member

I've been offline for nearly a week - my gift to myself.
I guess I'm carrying over my 'plans' from last year which was to increase the garden's fertility with more manure. My son has a trailer and my daughter has a friend with a horse farm and LOTS of aged manure!
I want to be more vocal and actually ASK for help from my grown kids - they're always asking and I don't speak up. In 2018, I'd like to find my voice......
HAPPY NEW YEAR from PrepHer Linda

ReplyQuote
farmgal
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

Hi Linda, here is hoping you get lots of help and lots of aged Manure for your gardens πŸ™‚

Farmgal Val

ReplyQuote
farmgal
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

Hey were did my nice long post back to Hope I am ready go.. Dang it..

ReplyQuote
farmgal
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

Sigh.. I will have to write it out again at a later point but WAVE.. Hi and happy New year!

ReplyQuote
farmgal
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

Very nice on the range and sorry to hear about your older doggy, sounds like you have a good year coming planned. Thanks for the kind words in regards to my speaking. keep us posted on your new garden plans

ReplyQuote
farmgal
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

Headed into the city yesterday to take Miss M shopping as park of her Christmas gift from us.. we have taken her to the same mall since grade 7 and she is grade 12 this year and she is the perfect size to get amazing sale.. honestly.. she was able to get tops from between .80 cents to 2.60 on sales and another 80 percent off.. she loves her sales and can rub two nickels together

But we were shocked at how empty the mall was both in people and stores.. wow and the store we went to.. the amount of stock was down by half and not because of sale's but do to lack of items.. I only get to this place once a year and so it really stood out to me and she was the one who started talking about it.. I loved listening to a 17 year old talk about how we are clearly having this an that issue. Loved it

So what is it like in your neck of the woods? are you seeing or being effected by some of the big store closings.. if you have teens around, had any interesting talks with them about what is happening from their view?

ReplyQuote
farmgal
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

Happy New Year Ladies!

Tomorrow starts 2018.. hope its a good year for everyone in their own ways.. May you all be blessed with a life that leaves you extra.. extra time with family, extra time for yourself, extra time for friends, extra funds to put in more preps in whatever way you would like, may your cups runneth over!

ReplyQuote
Learner
(@learner)
Reputable Member

All the same to you too farmgal and to everyone else.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: